BIRTH RECORDSTo Request a Certified Copy of a Birth Record: Check for eligibility below. Fill out the appropriate form and mail that, along with the proper identification, a check or money order made payable to the Litchfield Town Clerk and a self addressed return envelope to: Litchfield Town Clerk, PO Box 488, Litchfield, CT 06759Birth Certificate Request Form
In Connecticut there are no County Records. Your Birth Certificate will be on file in the Town in which you were born and the Town where your parents lived at the time of your birth as well as the State Department of Public Health
.Any person 18 years or older may purchase certified copies which are at least 100 years old. Access to any copy of a birth certificate less than that are restricted. The cost is $20.00 per copy. The only persons who may have access to a more recent birth certificate are:
- The person whose birth is recorded, if over the age of eighteen.
- Such person’s children, grandchildren, spouse, parent, guardian or grandparent (NOTE: a father has access only if he is recorded on the child’s birth certificate).
- The chief executive officer of the municipality where the birth occurred, or the chief executive officer’s authorized agent.
- The local director of health for the town where the birth occurred or where the mother was a resident at the time of the event.
- Attorneys-at-law representing such person or such person’s parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse.
- Members of genealogical societies incorporated or authorized by the secretary of the state to do business or conduct affairs in this state.
- Agents of a state or federal agency as approved by the DPH.
- Researchers approved by the DPH.
Any eligible party requesting a copy of a birth certificate must provide verification of relationship entitling them to a copy of the birth certificate. (Ex: a person requesting a birth certificate of a grandchild must show a birth certificate of their child to show the chain.)
Additionally, any requester must submit the following documentation:
- The required Request of Copy of Birth Certificate form.
- A valid, government issued photographic identification; or, if a photo ID is not available, at least two of the following documents:
- A social security card
- Written verification of identity from employer
- Automobile registration
- Copy of utility bill showing name and address
- Checking account deposit slip showing name and address
- Voter registration card
Any agent of a state or federal agency that requests a copy shall supply a release signed by the registrant or by the parent of the minor child or legal guardian, accompanied with the requestor’s agency photo ID, authorizing a copy of the birth certificate to be sent to the requesting agency.All other 3rd party requests will not be honored.Short Form (wallet size copy) the requester must be eligible as above except the registrant may be 16 years old. This certification gives only the name, sex, date of birth and date of filing of the certificate of birth. The cost is $15.00 per copy.Adopted Persons Born Outside of the United States: On file with the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health
.Birth Records of Persons Born Abroad:Recorded with the US Dept. of State on a form called “Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.”To obtain a copy write to: Vital Records Section, Passport Services, 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510, Washington, DC 20522-1705.Death CertificatesDEATH CERTIFICATES:Request for Death Certificate Form
In Connecticut there are no County records. A Death certificate will be on file in the Town where the death occurred, the town of residence of the deceased, and with the state Dept. of Public Health
.Any persons 18 years of age or older may purchase certified copies of marriage records which are at least one hundred years old. The cost is $20.00 per copy. Social Security numbers and/or the administrative purposes section will be redacted unless being issued to the licensed funeral director or embalmer who completed the death certificate, the surviving spouse or next of kin.To Request a Certified Copy of a Death Certificate:Fill out the form completely. Mail the form along with a photocopy of a valid Photo ID, a check or money order made payable to the Litchfield Town Clerk, and a return self addressed envelope to: Litchfield Town Clerk, PO Box 488, Litchfield, CT 06759.MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES:Request for Marriage Certificate Form
In Connecticut there are no County records. Your marriage license will be on file in the Town in which the ceremony took place, the Town you resided in at the time of the event and with the state Dept. of Public Health
. Any persons 18 years of age or older may purchase certified copies of marriage records which are at least one hundred years old. The cost is $20.00 per copy. Social Security numbers and the ‘administrative purposes section’ will be redacted unless the certificate is being issued to the persons named in the certificate.To Request a Certified Copy of a Marriage License:Fill out the appropriate form completely. Mail the form along with a photocopy of a valid Photo ID, a check or money order made payable to the Litchfield Town Clerk, and a return self addressed envelope to: Litchfield Town Clerk, PO Box 488, Litchfield, CT 06759.