Absentee Ballots

Back to
Town Clerk
Absentee Ballot Voting
Pursuant to Public Act No. 12-57: “An Act Concerning Permanent Absentee Ballot Status for the Permanently Disabled,” the General Assembly created permanent absentee balloting status for certain individuals that became effective January 1, 2013. Those electors with permanent disabilities may apply for this status which will enable them to receive automatically an Absentee Ballot for each election, primary and referendum in the municipality in which they are eligible to vote. It eliminates the need for the elector to fill out an application before each election. To qualify an elector must file an initial absentee ballot application form with the Town clerk’s office together with a doctor’s certificate stating that they have a permanent disability that will not allow them to appear in person at their polling place. This doctor’s certification must be done on the physician’s letterhead and include the original signature of the certifying doctor. Each January the Registrar of Voters will be required to verify by notice the residency of such qualified electors. If you have any questions please call the Town Clerk’s office at 860-567-7561 or the Registrar of Voter’s at 860-567-7558.

An elector may vote by absentee ballot for the following reasons:
       Active service in the Armed Forces of the United States
        Absence from town of residence
        Religious tenets forbid secular activity on the day of the election, primary or referendum
        Duties as a primary, election or referendum official at a polling place other than my own during all of the hours of voting
        Physical disability
Application forms for an absentee ballot may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office by an applicant either in person or through the mail, by downloading it here, or at the website of the Secretary of the State's office at http://portal.ct.gov/sots. Completed applications must be returned to the Town Clerk’s office of the town where the applicant is an elector. Ballots must be given or mailed directly to the applicant. Completed ballots must be received by the Town Clerk’s office by the close of the polls in order to be counted. An elector who votes by absentee ballot may return the ballot in person by the day before the election or primary, place ballot in the Official Ballot Box at the rear of the Town Hall Building, or mail the ballot so that it is received by the Town Clerk’s office by the close of the polls.
UOCAVA (Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act establishes procedures that allow members of the US Armed Forces and electors temporarily residing overseas to request voter registration applications and absentee ballot applications by mail or electronically. Access the Office of the Secretary of the State of Connecticut’s website to find an electronic version of the State of Connecticut’s Application for Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Application. Or access the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s website to fill out a Federal Postcard Application which can serve as both an application for Voter Registration and an application for an Absentee Ballot.